Friday, June 18, 2010

Is it just me or is there a lot of good out there...

Every where I look there is some story about horrible cruelity, abuse, evil. It's in the news every night, it is in the novels I read, it is even in personal stories I have heard other people tell me. But when I look at the experiences of my life I see not this great evil and human cruelity, but kindness and human goodness. Really, I have known so much goodness in others, that the alternative seems unreal to me.

Am I tremendously lucky, or are there others out there who've experienced the world in this way? I've been so blessed by loving family members and friends. I have tremendous parents and grandparents. But also when I go out into the world, I am usually met by the kindness of strangers. Strangers have often helped me when I've been in need, and countless times have been open and friendly, sharing a smile, a kind word. When so much goodness seems apparent, it is so hard believe in the evil.

Have the people in my life been perfect? No. Have they shown goodness? Yes, sometimes in astonishing amounts. I know the bad is out there, and I don't intend to seem flippant toward it or those who suffer. In fact, I feel so strongly for those who are hurting because I know it should and could be so much different. But, oh, the goodness is out there, and I will never take my eyes off of it, never.

1 comment:

alval said...

Thank you for your poignant insight and seeing the good that is out there. As it says in Disiderata (by Max Ehrmann)"With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world." Thank you for seeing the beauty and sharing it. :)