Saturday, May 17, 2008


I just wanted to pass on a recommendation for a book that I am reading. The icon above is kind of small but the name is Your Child's Strengths: Discover Them, Develop Them, Use Them by Jennifer Fox. This is a great book about really building your child up by helping them find what they are good at and then building those skills up to help them to succeed and be happy in their lives. I haven't finished it, but am really enjoying this book. The author celebrates the uniqueness of all individuals and has a vision about what the world would be like if each child is able to harness his/her special abilities and use them to be successful and confident. She is an educator and talks a lot about how the current school system focuses too much on remediating weaknesses instead of building individual strengths. It is frustrating to see a lot of the weaknesses of the current education system, but she focuses on how parents and teachers can help kids despite the current ways of doing things. Anyway, a great book with a lot of fresh ideas for parents.

2 comments:

The Katzbox said...

Hey Jessie, I LOVE the idea of working with strengths!!! Doesn't it just make sense??? I mean, why did the good Lord give us talents? If I give my child a sewing machine, do I really want him or her to try to make it a piano? Bravo honey...this looks fantastic. Love you honey! Debbie

Anne Woods said...

thanks for the recommendation. i just really getting into parenting books and i really appreciate your advice! I will get asap!