Sunday, September 28, 2008

Charles to the rescue...

This is a beach story from our recent trip, told in Charles's own words:

"So Jess, Kathryn (my mum-in-law), the kids, and I are enjoying our second day out on Virginia Beach. The weather is perfect, even record heat for September, and we have been enjoying ourselves as we switch between body-surfing and frantically chasing the kids making sure they don't get swept out to sea by the two-foot waves. Yes, I know our kids are tiny as are their parents.

At this particular moment I am playing with Cole who is running in and out of the water gleefully trying to avoid the breakers. The beach isn't crowded but there are quite a few children, big and small playing around us. As we are playing I glance out about 10 feet and my blood runs cold. I see the back of a little girl's head just barely poking out of the murky dark salt water. I can't see her face as it's below the surface of the water but I can see the bright red hair ties weaving through her bristly hair. She isn't moving, aside from how she is being lifelessly tossed by the waves. I yell as loud as I can to Jessica to watch Cole as I trudge through the water to grab the child. My mind is playing out handing this child's body to her screaming parents.

I quickly scoop her up..."





"What is a coconut doing in Virginia?!?!?!? I had to take several minutes after that to recover the sturdiness in my legs as the adrenaline rush died down. Jess and Kathryn were quite amused by the event. Later on, another one drifted in and they could both see why it was so easy to mistake. Thank goodness it was just a coconut. Jess was proud of me for so heroically rescuing the drowning fruit. We kept it as a souvenir."


Yes dear, if ever I have pineapple in a predicament or a kiwi in a quandary, I know that I shall be able to count on you!

1 comment:

The Katzbox said...

I think Charles is quite a hero. It isn't everyone who would dive into a brisk surf to retrieve gaily decorated nuts. Bravo Charles.

P.S. It truly was heroic and scary.